You are planning to travel to Iran. You have downloaded all the necessary travel apps, but you are not sure how to navigate the internet in Iran. Worry not, for we have every bit information you need in order to stay in touch with the world despite the internet censorships.
Which websites are censored?
Most websites considered to contain materials that go against the Islamic teachings and Iranian culture have been filtered and are; therefore, inaccessible. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Most news websites such as bbc.co.uk, abcnews.go.com, and washingtonpost.com
- Blogging platforms like wordpress.com and blogspot.com
- Communication tools, specially Telegram and Viber (although WhatsApp is accessible)
- Social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, Myspace
- Media sharing platforms including YouTube, and Netflix
Banned for Iran IPs:
Also, be aware that some regulations in the US and European countries restrict the use of services for Iranian IPs, meaning you won’t be able to access Spotify or receive shipments from Amazon.
Additionally, you are likely to be faced with throttling, which is slowing or speeding of an internet service, and surveillance of your traffic and online conversations.
But does this mean you have to lose your connection with your family and friends or miss out on your favorite YouTuber’s next video? Of course not! It just means you must find yourself a trusted VPN that works, and you will be good to go.
What is a VPN?
A virtual private network tricks the internet regarding your whereabouts by giving you a foreign IP. Although the use of VPNs is illegal, there are no records of people getting in trouble for using one, and this has not stopped Iranians from selling and buying VPNs, or even downloading free ones.
Some tips to better enjoy your internet in Iran
- Make sure you download your VPN before you go. Paying for subscriptions or even accessing some of these websites can be a difficult business once you are in Iran.
- Download more than just one VPN. It is always good to have a backup!
- If you want faster speed, connect to countries closer to Iran. Also, keep in mind that connecting to a VPN can drain your battery very quickly.
Still got more questions? Don’t hesitate to contact us here.
Have fun on your magical trip, and don’t forget to snap a picture of all the interesting Persian customs that you see!
By Niloofar Ghaemi